St. Michael & All Angels
The present church, a Grade II* listed building was built in the 15th century in the Perpendicular style. Sir Edmund Shaa, who lived locally but rose to fame and fortune as Lord Mayor of London, died in 1488 and left money for the building of the tower. It is possible that the whole church was rebuilt at the same time, perhaps as an enlargement of an earlier building. In 1855 the church had a major restoration, by local architect E. H. Shellard. The nave roof was raised, and the rather small upper (clerestory) windows replaced by the handsome ones we see today.
Apart from the Victorian restoration, the structure of the church remains much as it was when it was built 500 years ago. Each generation has left its mark, however, and this generation is no different.
Some key features:
Guide Book to Mottram Parish Church
You can download a comprehensive guide to Mottram Parish Church and its history by clicking here.
High quality printed copies of the Guide Book are also available from church, or by post from:
Or email booksales@ (all our email addresses* end with mottramparish.org.uk) or use the general contact form.
*We've broken up all the email addresses on this website, for spam protection.