THE PARISH OF MOTTRAM IN LONGDENDALE

Aerial view of St. Michael's by Matt Sheldon

Compassion

COMPASSION UK
one of the charities that the PCC supports regularly

God calls His Church to serve those living in poverty and Compassion have been helping churches across the globe to do just that for more than 60 years.

The Jeevan Jyoti Bal Vikas Child Survival Programme

One of the charities Mottram Church supports with a proportion of its income is Compassion UK’s Child Survival Programme (CSP) in Bangla, a community of 5000 people south of New Delhi living in mud and bamboo constructed housing.

In response to tragically high infant mortality rates, the project’s goal is that the children in Bangla survive and thrive. Mothers are taught literacy and numeracy skills, vocational training and income-generating activities. Mothers and caregivers also receive spiritual nurturing and many develop a lifelong relationship with Jesus, knowing they are precious, valued and completely loved by God.

The project currently has 45 caregivers and 44 children registered in the project, 18 under one year old. Once the toddlers reach the age of three they are registered with Compassion’s Child Sponsorship Programme which allows them to continue growing and developing in a safe and nurturing environment.

Several children from this community are additionally sponsored by individuals and families at Mottram Church under this scheme.

You can find out more about Compasssion here.

Deepa, one of the caregivers writes:

I am Deepa and I have been in the programme for the past 6 months. It’s my privilege to be a part of this programme, and I am grateful to you all for your kind help. I am happy to share some things about my family and myself. There are 6 members of our family, which include my parents-in-law, sister-in-law, my husband, my one-month baby boy and myself. We live in a rural village, which is crowded with poor people like us. Many people are illiterate here and most are agricultural labourers. My husband has a small stationery shop in the village, which is our main source of income. He earns about Rs. 3000-4000 [£30 - 40] per month, sometimes less. I don’t go outside to work as I have to take care of household works.

We are excited for the new-born in our family. We want to give him the best education and provide for his needs. We have great hope through CSP. The CSP organised a medical camp for us and this has helped us find our health status and extra care was given to many. Nutritious food is given every week and we also receive food supplements and vegetables for our children and ourselves. Activities and games are conducted for children, and important things like health, hygiene, family planning, childcare and parenting are also taught. The visit of CSP staff helps me know that there is somebody who loves us.

Thank you for providing this opportunity through the CSP. You have been a great blessing to our community. Your support will always be remembered by God and you will have hundredfold blessings in the coming days.

Thank you. Deepa.